The Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities (NWCCU) accredits institutions of higher education by applying evidence-informed standards and processes to support continuous improvements and promote student achievement and success.
As an accreditor, NWCCU is committed to:
- The highest ethical standards in advancing its mission
- Serving with integrity, excellence, accountability, and respect
- Establishing a diverse workforce that reflects the commission’s membership
- Promoting diversity, equity, inclusion, belonging, and social justice within the organization and among member institutions
- Preserving and respecting the unique institutional missions of its member institutions
Diversity refers to the traits and characteristics that make people unique, including the dimensions of race, ancestry, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, age, physical abilities, religious beliefs, political beliefs, or other ideologies.
Inclusion and belonging refer to the behaviors and social norms that ensure people feel welcome and are appreciated and valued as members of their communities.
Social justice refers to affording everyone equal economic, political, and social rights and opportunities.
The words equity and equality are critically important components of diversity and inclusion. They are often used interchangeably, but there are important distinctions.
Equity is concerned with justice and fairness of policies and practices. Equality refers to the resources or opportunities afforded all people.
In accordance with its mission, NWCCU expects its staff, commissioners, evaluators, and contractors to read, understand, and comply with this Ethics and Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement and:
- Be welcoming and inclusive
- Treat everyone with civility, courtesy, and respect
- Exhibit integrity, fidelity, and honesty in all endeavors
- Be curious, objective, and open minded about others’ ideas, choices, and beliefs
- Recognize and acknowledge contributions of others
- Disclose potential conflicts of interest
- Expose professional misconduct promptly
- Not tolerate or engage in discrimination, harassment, or other toxic behavior
- Comply with all federal, state, and local laws and regulations
Adopted June 2022